Museum Hours:

Saturday 10-6

Sunday 12-5

Please Become a Member of the Museum

Postwar American Television

Videograph Restoration

The Videograph has an Emerson 545 TV chassis, a Seeburg 825-10 audio amplifier, a Seeburg 146 changer assembly, and an axillary chassis to control the operation of the unit. In addition, there is a pushbutton selector and coin assembly in the cabinet.

We have schematics for the TV and amplifier, and are getting a factory manual for the changer.

Cabinet: (pictures) The cabinet is generally in good condition, except that the glass at the bottom is broken. We will attempt to find someone who can reproduce it.

TV Chassis: (pictures) The TV portion of the Videograph worked at the time we acquired it. It had been restored previously, with most of the electrolytic capacitors replaced. None of the paper capacitors had been replaced, and the set had poor vertical linearity and ringing in the video. We have replaced all the capacitors, and the vertical is now fine. The ringing was caused by an improper value resistor I put in. The chassis is now working perfectly.

Audio Amplifier: (pictures) This unit has been modified by the previous owner. The bias supply for the output tubes has been disabled. We have replaced all the paper and electrolytic capacitors and have restored the original circuit.

Auxiliary Chassis: (pictures) The first step with this unit is to trace the schematic diagram. We have done this, and now understand how the circuits work.

Changer Mechanism: (pictures) We have ordered the factory service manual and parts needed to restore this unit. The top of it has been deformed, and we will attempt to straighten it. Then, we will disassemble the changer, clean all the parts, lubricate it, and reassemble it.

We dissassembled the changer and degreased and cleaned it. The top was easily straightened. After reassembly we worked our way through getting the mechanism working. The start winding of the motor is bad, so it must be spun manually to get it going. Also, one of the flexible couplings on the motor is bad. We have found a replacement motor and coupling, which will be shipped to us next month.

The motor finally arrived. The changer mechanism now works, and plays records through the amplifier. A large spring on the selection solenoid assembly is broken, and will have to be replaced. Finding a brass spring, ten inches long and 5/32 inch in diameter will be difficult.

I was able to repair the old spring, and after much fiddling the assembly now works. The jukebox now plays reliably, though a couple of the selections don't always work. I will continue to try to find out why.

Now I am attempting to find popular records from 1946. I have ordered the labels to go in the pushbutton assembly.