W9XG - West Lafayette, Indiana
W9XG was Purdue University's experimental television station, broadcasting 60 line mechanical images on 2.1-2.2 mHz with a power of 1500 watts. The station was licensed in 1930, began broadcasting in 1931 and left the air in 1939.
One of the first electronic receivers, made in 1932, was built by Purdue as part of their television experimentation.
In order to test how far TV pictures could be reliably received, the set was taken in a car all over the state of Indiana, and into adjacent states. A generator supplied power for the receiver. It was determined that good pictures could be seen up to about 250 miles away from the transmitter.
Car used for field strength measurements