Museum Hours:

Saturday 10-6

Sunday 12-5

 

Early Television Stations

WWDT/WWJ-TV/WDIV Detroit

WWDT, owned by by Evening News Corp., made Detroit's first public demonstration of television on October 23, 1946. A day of programming was telecast from the Penobscot building to Convention Hall, just three miles away. This was a one-day event, and WWDT started broadcasting with a regular schedule on March 4, 1947. They changed their call sign to WWJ-TV later that year.

Television Comes to Detroit

Here are photos of the 1946 telecast:

The audience at Convention Hall

Left to right: George Hunter, William Kuinzel and Henry Fraser

Left to right: Dr. Louis Gariepy, Admiral Chester Nimitz and Andrew Kirkpatrick

Right Reverend Frank W. Creighton. Cameraman is Frank Tantello

 

WWJ-TV Photos from 1947-48

1947 camera

Courtesy of Chuck Pharis

Control panel - audio is on the right, video on the left (July 1947)

1948

1949

A 1948 Hudson in the WWJ-TV Studio