Museum Hours:

Saturday 10-6

Sunday 12-5

Please Become a Member of the Museum

 

Mechanical Television

A. J. Carter

A. J. Carter owned the Carter Radio Co. in Chicago, a manufacturer of radio components such as rheostats. Carter became interested in television, and collaborated with U. A. Sanabria in building Sanabria's first television station at WCFL.

Popular Science, March 1927

Carter's radio plant also manufactured receivers using Sanabria's designs. These sets were demonstrated at radio shows in Chicago and New York. The article below mentions a 5 x 5 inch screen, which describes the Westen model 41, which used a lens disk. However, the 41 wasn't introduced until about 1932.

New York Times, August 24 1928

Television, November 1928

 

 

 

 

 

Reminisce Magazine, August-September 2009

Courtesy of Linda Lopez