Early Television Stations
W9XAL Kansas City (First National Television)
Most pre-1945 TV stations were located in the major cities. However, one pioneer station was in Kansas City, MO, operated by First National Television, a vocational training school. Here is what we have learned about it.
The experimental station started in January 1933, broadcasting on 2.75- 2.85 mHz, using mechanical TV equipment. The station was licensed to First National Television, Inc., which was owned by Midland Radio and Television School, a technical training school. Later, the name of the school was changed to Central Technical Institute, and finally to DeVry Institute, which is still in operation. Here are some letters describing reception of the station in Missouri and the program schedule of the station in 1933. First National Television also operated an experimental high fidelity radio station.
Here is a quote from a story written by C.C. Jones:
A 1932 brochure describes their mechanical TV station. A 1936 brochure shows both mechanical and electronic equipment, and a 1939 brochure shows only electronic equipment. Here is the camera they used until 1936. In 1935 the station was licensed to operate at 42-56 mHz, a band used for electronic TV. The brochure mentions that they used electronic equipment from Farnsworth. Other material indicates that TV receivers were imported from England, and by 1938 the station had "modern 441 line TV camera equipment from RCA".
Another brochure, titled "Wanted - Young Men to Earn Big Money in Televison", described their television training program.
Here is a quote from The Great Television Race by Joe Udelman:
Recently, we heard from a resident graduate of Midland Radio and Television School, Newcomb Weisenberger. Here is his story.
Radio World, February 27 1932
Popular Mechanics, October 1935
Modern Mechanics, June, 1936
Christmas party, 1936
MIdland Schools was owned by Midland Broadcasting, Inc. which also owned KMBC radio, the NBC affiliate in Kansas City.
Broadcasting, August 15 1938