Early Television Stations
WTVN-TV Columbus, Ohio
WTVN-TV began broadcasting in 1949 from the Lincoln Tower (now called the LeVeque Tower) in downtown Columbus.
The station began operations on August 30 as WTVN-TV, Columbus' second television station. It was owned initially by Picture Waves, Inc., a local firm that also operated WTVN radio. During 1950, Picture Waves sold the WTVN stations to the Taft Television and Radio Company, which was based in Cincinnati. Taft signed-on WTVN-FM (96.3 MHz., now WLVQ) in 1959. Here is an early brochure.
WTVN-TV was an affiliate of the DuMont network at its inception, and in 1953 took on a secondary affiliation with ABC. Channel six became an exclusive ABC station when DuMont closed down operations in 1956.
A photo published in the Jan. 1951 issue of Radio-Electronics magazine
Courtesy of Steve Dichter
In 1952, the station opened a new broadcast center in downtown Columbus
1951 Artwork for WTVN Programs